- Be curious (duh)
- Be bold with meeting others
- Be playful with ideas
- Absurd dance? Also, how does slowly waving your arms back equate to being on top of a train?
Laughter as a Serious Weapon #
- "Equitable" app, using "affirmative fractions"
- Laughter to help break down negative pushback to social justice. Done throughout the entire process of the app.
- We have the info and lived experiences already to start making this kind of change.
John Crepezei. Hardware Hacking #
- Intersection of MikeHaven and code?
- Code executing actions for real objects
- Raspberry Pi, coding timing for music
- L298N connected to Rasp Pi
- Different add-ons to extend it
Fighting Hurricanes with Code #
- Coding drones to scan areas for SOS calls that pass on to first responders.
- Could also scan for drawings
- Log all entries on a map
- Necessity drives this innovation
- Purpose larger than oneself
Vuejs Workshop #
Framework perk is not making as many repetitive, unneeded decisions like "where to put crop." Vue is simpler, no build process, scalable
- Two-way binding between DOM and JS
- HTML with template rendering / declarative rendering / logic and variables.
- Can do either the CLI setup or paste the script tag in the file.
- Vue can limit itself to parts of the DOM, controls scale and limits scope.
- Less barrier between HTML and JS. Logical rendering in the template, more flexible than other frameworks.
v-modelfor two-way bindings, form inputs automatically change them.
- Events defined in "methods," many event shortcuts to use in the HTML.
- v:on-click or @click, check syntax options!
- Bind specific values to attributes, classes or otherwise. Good for disabling inputs.
Lifecycle Events #
- Different points in creating and destroying the DOM. for examples geting Aft when created hook is called.
- filters are value formatters, passed through in a pipe in the template. Also can be done in the JS side or with arguments.
- Reusable functionality and templates.
- Store the usual Vue properties along with a template
- Define props and needed logic
- Can take in parent data
- listen for events
- Slots for passing blocks as variables, and exposes data for use in the blocks.
Page enhancements VS apps #
- For apps, use Code Sandbox. Lays out and adds files for you.
- Single-file components!
- You can serve one component instead of the whole app.
- The CLI does not add
vue-routerfor you. Has programmatic options too, like checking logic to block certain paths.
State management #
- Many components with one data set gets tough.
- Vuex is seperate, which acts as a "store." which keeps all the data. Changes to it notify all areas using them.
- Can be one or more store instances
- Mutations and Actions are how data is changed. Big difference is Actions are async, good for APIs.
- Devtools extension for using store and other Vue features
Web Resources #
- Check Drasner's Vue articles on CSS Tricks
- Vue docs cookbook for building examples
- Ray Camden's blog's, look for the Vue tag
- Check out Unit tests, also integration tests
- Custom directives?
You Should Write that Blog Post #
- Writing for past, present, and future self. Selfish at its core but that's okay.
- Present self to fuel learning new things
- Future self to establish one's career
Building a Gendered Dictionary #
- Gendered language with built-in meaning slanted to a gender. Has a gender as part of the definition
- Using regex to precisely look for gendered words in a data collection of definitions.
- Had to filter data to only include human-based words too.
- The language we use potentially reinforces stereotypes and inequalities.
Art Meets Algorithms #
Pixels in an image are basically a graph,trying to solve the route shortest between them all.
- Convert image to pixels
- select a subset of all the pixels at random
- Randomness to create a randomized pixel selection (1 from each 3×3 grid)
- Apply "nearest neighbors algorithm" to create line art. But doesn't work since it has several long jumps, too simple
- Remove long lines with "2- opt" algorithm. Remove all line pairs that cross and replace them with non-crossers
Also check out fractal art and voronoi diagrams.